Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A good start is half the work ...

That should mean that with a great start like I had all the work is done already.
No there is tons of work yet to do, actually all of it. But what a start it has been.

The trip to Istanbul was long but pleasant nonetheless. The closer we got to the hotel the more nervous I became. But that's pretty normal for me. I can safely say now though, that this is going to be a wonderful experience. The hotel is ok and Istanbul is really impressive (and I haven't seen a lot of it, actually almost none of it or so it seemed today, cruising the Bosporus).
The people are wonderful. The other students seem really interesting and they are eager to learn. All four countries have brought a group that's willing to work and at the same time have a great time in a new, fresh environment with new and fresh people. And the teachers/professors are intersting people too (theater backgrounds, enthousiastic attitude). I really get the idea they actually want to teach us and inspire us, instead of just being there for feedback and guidance.

I was pretty nervous about the people (I hope my group will be nice, what if they aren't? What if I'm useless compared to what they already know?) But, luckily it was totally pointless to stress. My group seems to be really nice and we already had fun today. Every student is from such a different area of expertise that it's really surprising to see how that knowledge can be combined to make new and interesting concepts. I'm really looking forward to these weeks.

About the project so far:
Calligraphy seemed like a wonderful subject for a project. Even though it might seem weird for an interaction designer to even consider calligraphy, it doesn't mean that it isn't useful. I'm still not entirely sure where this theme will be taking us but it did make me curious.
The mindmap making was fun. Maybe we're being to careful now, but I think our group really works. There's a nice atmosphere when we're together and I think we can make something to be proud of at the end of the Summer School.

When there's more interesting stuff to tell I will post more. For now ... enjoy the summerschool and I'll see you all later!

P.S. day two... photocount 352.
Pictures will be added in future blogposts I think/hope.

No comments: